Thursday 18 February 2016

BLACKWATER by Alison Williams

5 out of 5 stars

Novelette, 17th century, witches

Please note: it's FREE on Amazon UK and .com, but a couple of people in European countries have said it's not free for them.  But it's still only 99p or equivalent, and easily worth it!

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


WHY haven't I read this before?  It's the novelette (I think) length prequel to the novel The Black Hours, which I enjoyed very much; both can be read as stand alones.  Anyway, it's great!  I loved it, and couldn't resist going on to read the start of The Black Hours again, afterwards.

Lizzie and her mother, Maggie, eke out a meagre existence in their village, not far away from London, in the 17th century.  Maggie is a healer; some say she is a witch ~ especially the Pendles, who are the most important family in the community.  Unfortunately, young Sam Pendle and Lizzie are in love...

This story is absolutely gripping.  It starts off quite slowly but really builds up, and the atmosphere and tension is so well illustrated.  So dark, I'm sure I felt every beat of Lizzie's heart.  Alison Williams has such an understanding of the time.  At one point the story travels to London, and that part was so well described I might have been watching it rather than reading it.  As for the end....

Best of all, it's FREE ~ what are you waiting for?!  (Please see above as might not be free in all countries)

THE BLACK HOURS reviewed HERE

 

10 comments:

  1. Gosh Terry - what a lovely surprise. Thank you so much :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it - oh, but so sad! I want more, now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shout out for Alison's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't know why I didn't read it ages ago - I think I was always saying, oh, it's short, I'll fit it in sometime... and for some reason just never did. Thank goodness for reading time!

      Delete
  4. This is on my kindle! I’m sorry to say I forgot all about it :( I’ve bumped it up to the top now to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that happened to me, too! Do read it very soon, you'll love it too!

      Delete
  5. It's not free here in NL, but I'll get it anyway as it's not much. Your review has convinced me, TT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vallypee, I just looked and it's free on Amazon.com, if not Amazon NL - but maybe different in Dutchland! But it's DEFINITELY worth the 99p or whatever it is, anyway :)

      Delete
  6. Oh dear. I missed the launch. Just downloaded it to my kindle. Looking forward to reading! Loved the Black Hours. I had to pay a dollar on .com/US, it's no big deal, just thought I'd let you know. Perhaps it's because I live in Spain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luccia, I think it must be, because when I click on .com it says free - however, I shall amend what I've said, thanks for letting me know! Anyway - thanks for reading, I know you'll love it!

      Delete