Friday 2 April 2021

A Matter of Conscience by Judith Arnopp @JudithArnopp

 5 out of 5 stars


On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads


 


How I discovered this book
: a favourite author, I was looking forward to it.

In a Nutshell: First person account of the early years of Henry VIII.

I tried to ration this book out as I got near the end, because I was loving it so much.  I sincerely hope Ms Arnopp is hard at work on the sequel, because I want to read it NOW!

This first person story of Henry VIII is written in the present tense, which absolutely works; it's probably my favourite choice for narrative. The account takes us from his childhood until the time, during the years of the Great Matter, when Henry set off with Anne Boleyn on the Royal Progress, leaving Catherine alone.  By then, his marriage to her was over all but legally.  

Ms Arnopp has written most convincingly from inside the head of this most famous of English kings.  As a child he was bright, clearly charismatic, easily bored, needing attention but also riddled with self-doubt, especially when thrust into the role of king-in-waiting; these basic personality traits remain into adulthood (as one's basic personality traits tend to), but of course they manifest themselves differently when he is older.


I liked how, at times, Henry is written as an unreliable narrator, in such a way that the reader can see what is going on behind his words with regard to his own feelings and the motives of others.  The way in which he is allowed to indulge every whim not only because he is king but also because of the strength of his personality, is so evident without it ever being stated; I could not help but think that his life might have been happier and less chaotic had he ever been seriously challenged.

The book concentrates mostly on his relationships, not just with Anne and Catherine, but with his father, his sisters (particularly Mary), his daughter, Brandon, and his other friends and advisors; the political and relgious aspects to the story are written around these.  It is an extremely 'easy read', but at the same time I could appreciate the skill that has made it so.  It's so well edited, perfectly paced, without one dip in quality all the way through.  Bravo, Judith Arnopp; this is my new favourite of your books.





6 comments:

  1. Yay! so happy you liked it1 Yes, I am hard at work on book two and if Henry was reticent in coming forward to help me write Book one, he is practically singing in this one - lol. Thank you so much for your review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish to know immediately it is published!!! Am available for ARCs, though will buy it anyway :)

      Delete
  2. Just when I think there is nothing more to be written about Henry, along comes this novel approach to his history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always room for another slant...especially when it's as good as this!!

      Delete
  3. What a great review! I now want to read it too...very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I highly recommend, Val! Judith is one of my three favourite histfic writers :)

      Delete