Tuesday 26 January 2016

ON LUCKY SHORES by Kerry J Donovan

4 out of 5 stars

Colorado Rockies adventure

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


Reviewed by me for Rosie Amber's Review Team 

Well, this was a cracking good yarn!  Not the sort of book I'd usually choose at all, but I enjoyed it. 

It's set in hick town Lucky Shores in the Colorado Rockies, in winter.  All I know of Colorado is Dynasty and South Park, and Lucky Shores is definitely more Skeeter's Bar, South Park, than Krystle and Blake Carrington.  The story starts when drifter musician Chet Walker (what a great name!) wanders into town, looking for a gig and a place to rest his head.  Lost on a lonely road, though, he sees a motorist suffer a crash, and he runs to save his life - and so his trouble begins. 


This is an adventure story, a crime mystery whodunnit thriller, with a nice little bit of romantic suspense to keep Chet from wandering back the way he came.  The action picks up on a mountain hike when Chet and his female companion can't work out who their enemies are... 

Kerry Donovan has done 'slightly scary American hick town' very well indeed.  The characterisation is extremely good, the plot totally works, and the dialogue rips along, tight and realistic, often sharp and funny, too.  Oh, and as for Chet Walker - well, you know a character's come to life on the pages when you start to fancy him, don't you? 

Well written, a proper page turner.  Nice!

THE DCI JONES CASEBOOK: SEAN FREEMAN reviewed HERE

 

28 comments:

  1. Really great review, thanks Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry,
    Glad you liked the story and the lead character's name.
    Chet is an abbreviation of Chester. As for Walker? He's a hitchhiker. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

    Warmest regards,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed it was short for Chester when Boyd made enquiries! I was wondering. Hey, yeah, but he's still a drifter ;)

      Delete
    2. Dead right,
      Chet doesn't mind being seen as a 'drifter' or 'rambler', but would never accept 'vagrant'. Tee hee.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Love the review. I'm going to check out On Lucky Shores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on an excellent review, Kerry! I wholeheartedly support Rosie Amber's site and her hard-working team of reviewers! (Thanks, Terry. Will share.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting. I have placed it on my wish list since I live in Small Town, Colorado, USA and love a good whodunnit mystery/thriller. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve got this one lined up too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike yet again! Yes, it's jolly good, KJD is a terrific writer. One of those when you start it and think, oh good, I've picked a good one :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds great! I'm going to read this on your recommendation x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's nice, Jo! I know one you would absolutely love, too - have a look at my top 24 of 2015, up the side bar. It's Outback Promise, the first one mentioned :)

      Delete
  8. I love this book! Well done, Kerry :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, Terry. I thought the book looked like a great read when I read the description. I wonder if I could fit it in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, I'm always like that, too! Yes, he's a really good writer, one of the best indies I've come across. :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks again Terry,
    Lovely thing to say.
    And thanks to everyone for your kind words. Hope you enjoy the story.

    Warmest regards,
    Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds great and another to add to my exercise-expanding TBR - great review T :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great, Terry, one to add to the list I think. What a great character name - Chet Walker! Fab! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, gotta love Chet!!! This review has had an oddly huge response :)

      Delete