Saturday 23 January 2016

THE BAD GIRL by L Donsky-Levine

4.5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


Reviewed by me as part of Rosie Amber's Review Team 

I liked this book a lot.  It's witty, sharp, unusual, touching and so well written.  Set in downtown New York in the 1970s, this is a fairly long novella about Riley, a lonely girl working in the sex trade with no company except her beloved cats, and Fitz, a one-armed Vietnam vet. 

I read in the author's bio that she's a native New Yorker, and her knowledge of and love for the city is so apparent in this story.  It's what I think of as warts-and-all New York, the impression I had of it when I was growing up—more 1970s cop show than Carrie Bradshaw and Mr Big! 

The story is mostly told from Riley's point of view, but there are some lovely and clever sections through the eyes of cat Samson, the last one of which made me cry.  It's not like anything else I've read for some time, and unlike some novellas that seem as though they're a novel squashed into something too short, this is exactly the right length.  There's an element of dark comedy to it, too.  I loved Riley, Fitz, Samson and old Bennie Sadowski who befriends Riley in her hour of need.  You will, too :)

It's great - Ms L-D is a terrific writer and I'd like to read more by her.  Definitely recommended.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you Terry, an intriguing review, I like the sound of some of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Loved your review of my "little" book. So thrilled that you enjoyed it's cast of characters and the story they had to tell---New Yawk style . . . warts and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you highlight books I may never have come across, Terry. I'm looking forward to reading about the 'other' New York!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is really good! Often their from the Rosie Amber review list, Marilyn; I'd never have come across this, either! I've discovered two of my favourite writers through reviewing for Rosie - Robert Leigh and Katrina Mountfort - and read lots of other really good ones! They're all on the 'Rosie Amber's Review Team' tag at the bottom of the post :)

      Delete
  4. I’ve just requested this book, it sounded different and I’m looking forward to it after your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it was not as I thought it would be, I was pleasantly surprised! Actually, I immediately thought, Barb and Cathy would like this - so am most pleased that you requested it too!!

    The review is not quite as detailed as it should be because I was feeling a bit tired when I wrote it, but at least it conveys how much I liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent review. I have this on my e-reader and will now bump it up my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So worth, it, Kerry, it's a great afternoon's read. It's SHARP, like your book - I love that :)

      Delete