Wednesday 28 September 2016

THE EXPERIMENTAL NOTEBOOK II by C S Boyack

4 out of 5 stars

Short Stories ~ speculative fiction

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


Reviewed by me as a member of Rosie Amber's Review Team

I've never been quite sure exactly what 'speculative fiction' is, and presumed it to be writing whatever you want regardless of what 'the rules' say or what is currently in fashion or an accepted genre.  I think all writing should be like that anyway, so I imagined these stories would work for me; also, I'd read good reports of C S Boyack.

I'll start by saying that he's an artful and intelligent writer with bags of talent.  As is always the case with short story collections, some of them are weaker than others, and some are extremely good.  My favourites were Magpies, Practical Geology and The Parade Wave, all of which are on the extremely dark and slightly comedic side, and will merit a second read.  Others, such as a vampire one, didn't interest me so much, and with some of them I felt they were lacking a denouement; I'd come to the end and think, 'and?'.  Sometimes, the dialogue was a bit information heavy and unrealistic; there are other ways of setting the scene other than have one person express to another exactly where they are and why (like they wouldn't already know that) ~ BUT: in each one the writing is great, I couldn't fault that, and this made them all enjoyable to read. 

A solid 4*; I'd definitely read more by this guy.

 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Terry. I'd been wondering about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Terry. It's so interesting to see which ones click with which people. Everyone seems to have different favorites. You picked the more realistic ones, allowing for a few talking birds. So glad you enjoyed my experiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, CS, I must read your other collection, too, you're such a good writer. I noticed in the other reviews that a few people mentioned Magpies and Practical Geology - yes, I'm not a fan of fantasy/paranormal. Give or take the odd zombie. And talking bird ;)

      Delete
  3. Ha ha! Note to self, for third Notebook: Add more talking birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just downloaded the first book on Kindle Unlimited. Might be a while before I get to it as I have a few reviewing commitments for Rosie and am about to publish one book, have started another and, oh God, I've just had a brilliant idea for a short story... (you know what it's like...!), but get to it I will!

      Delete
  4. Well, you had me at vampire!! ;) Great review, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I think you'd really like these, actually, Shelley :)

      Delete