Saturday 30 December 2017

How do we discover the books we read?

Some months ago I did a quick count up of all the books I have reviewed on this blog, and did an analysis of how I discovered them.  The results were interesting, from both a reader and a writer's point of view.


I thought I would do another assessment of how I discovered the 99 books I have reviewed during this year only (I do not put all reviews on this blog; if I have little to say, the review might just be a couple of lines on Amazon). 

The results:

Favourite Author
This means I have bought/downloaded at least one other book by this author.  
In other words, a writer whose work I've enjoyed enough to want to read more.
38


Review Submissions
I am a member of Rosie Amber's Review Team; these are the books I have chosen from the list of those submitted to her blog for review.
28


Amazon Browse
Books that I liked the look of, mostly found in 'also boughts'
8


Twitter
Any book that I got to know about by talking to the author on Twitter
14 


Tweet
Bought/downloaded because a passing tweet from an author 
previously unknown to me piqued my interest
1


Book Blog
Chosen after reading a review or other article on a book blog
8


Friend
A friend's recommendation 
1


TV
A book bought because of my interest in a TV show or film
2


Thus, tips for writers.... !!
  • Write decent books so that readers want to buy another one!
  • Submit to book blogs
  • Get books downloaded any way you can so they appear on more 'also boughts'
  • Talk to people on social media
😁😁😁😁😁



15 comments:

  1. My 70 books are similar in ratio: 33 from favourite authors, 14 from #RBRT ,10 via Twitter, 7 browsing Amazon, 1 from a TV programme, 2 recommended and 3 re-reads. There's an overlap of books where the favourite author was originally a Twitter contact or I chose to review a book for Rosie Amber because others recommended it. So many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean about the overlap! Then, like William Savage, for instance, I put it in the 'favourite author', because I'd buy it anyway. If I've read an RBRT book because of a review by another team member, I put it in the 'book blog' section. Twice this year, I read reviews for RBRT on Lilyn's SciFi and Scary blog, and subsequently requested them from Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I read your book reviews!! William Savage (I agree) and Carl Rackman have joined my favorite author list - both came from Rosie's list. But you introduced me to Gemma Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when those we discover via RBRT end up on our favourites list, isn't it?! And I'm so glad I introduced you to Gemma! :)

      Delete
  4. Yep. Though I'd also add: writers that I have read in the past, I will always read their 'latest'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my 'favourite authors' section. Can mean anything from liking one book so buying another one, to writers whose new books I always buy the minute they come out. Either way, it means I bought the book because I've liked a previous one enough to do so.

      Delete
  5. Interesting results. I'm very bad at keeping track of which books I've read - also at putting reviews on Amazon. New Year Resolution to spend more time doing that.
    I buy a lot of my books after reading reviews on the sites I've come to trust to give honest reviews. And reccommendationds from friends who have similar tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I always put books I read on Goodreads, even the few I don't like so don't review as it keeps a record for me.

      Delete
    4. Ah yes, good idea, we all have our own system!

      Mary, I think it's simply that book reviewing is something of a hobby for me, as it is for Liz and other proper book bloggers, above, whereas for the majority of readers it isn't, so reviewing is maybe a bit of a chore!!!

      Delete
  6. You are so organised, Terry! I haven't thought to keep track - my reading is pushed into bedtime reading a lot of the time and I rarely review books I've chosen other than those on Rosie's lists #RBRT (note to self - must do more of those other book reviews) I agree with your notes to writers btw. And, in 2018, willtry to kep a record of what I read and write - it's an interesting idea on why I read what I do. (hmm... does that last sentence make sense) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't need to keep track and this took no organisation, J - I just looked at my reviews on Amazon and did a quick five bar gate type list of how I discovered each one, because you always remember!

      I think it's massively important for writers to review books, because we know how essential those reviews are. It's your good deed for the day!!! And it doesn't have to be the full show on your blog, it can just be a small paragraph on Amazon. What I do is get up as soon as I've finished the book and review it straight away (unless it's 4 in the morning or I'm in the bath, ha ha!), because then it's done, and I can remember exactly what the book was like - that way, it's not a chore.

      Delete
  7. There are some bloggers whose recommendations I always follow, for sure, or at least pay attention too, and I also have favourite writers and many I discover through Rosie's group and also through Net Galley. Of course, Terry, you have also joined my list of new authors recently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank YOU!!! And yes, there are some people whose reviews you always read. It's very interesting to actually sit down and make a list like this, though - I didn't realise how many books I buy from authors I've read before. And nice to see, from a writer's point of view, that Amazon visibility and appearances on book blogs really do work!

      Delete