Saturday 2 December 2017

THE CHRISTMAS GHOSTS by Gemma Lawrence @TudorTweep

4 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads



How I discovered this book and why I chose it: I have read every single other book by Gemma Lawrence, and have recently rediscovered the appeal of short stories for when you don't have the headspace/time for starting a whole novel!

Genre: Christmas short stories.

This is a collection of five long short stories, all very different. My favourites are Hot Toddy, a beautiful story about a woman of nearly eighty who is visited by someone she loves very much, and the last one, The Christmas Ghosts itself, which is about a young woman who earns money by house-sitting for the wealthy, whilst trying to put together her first novel.  I liked this one because her life appealed to me; the solitude in the lovely house, the beautiful surroundings, the hours and hours of uninterrupted time to write.  I was amused by her rather childlike debut novelist fancies and fantasies, and nodded my head a few times about the difficulty she has in getting her friends and family to take what she is doing seriously.  Oh yes, and the Christmas ghosts themselves.  I can't tell you about them, because that would give away the story, but it's a lovely idea, and something I would adore; a view into the past.

I've only read historical fiction by this author, so it was interesting to see how she fared with contemporary stories, but I am happy to report that, yes, she can do this, too!  Another thing I liked about this collection was that it is not twee or 'heartwarming', as some Christmas stories can be; one of the ghosts is a mangled animal, and another wears a Nirvana hoodie. 😄

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you have! Now, about her Tudor books....

      Delete
  2. I love Gemma Lawrence! Gotta try this one out. Thanks, Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still prefer her histfic, but these are very good too!

      Delete
    2. .... and that's not actually saying anything, because I prefer her histfic books to all other books, period :)

      Delete
  3. I like the look of this. Thanks, Terry

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be right up your street, Jenny! Gemma's my absolute favourite historical fiction writer ever; I didn't love these quite as much as the histfic, but that's just down to personal taste; she can't half write!

      Delete