Friday 4 January 2019

BLOOD OF MY BLOOD by Gemma Lawrence @TudorTweep

4.5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads



How I discovered this book: I have read the other 5 books in this series, so it was an obvious choice!

In a nutshell: Book 6 in series about the life of Elizabeth I.

I expected this to be the last in the series but realised half way through that there is quite a long way to go - this book takes place in the middle of Elizabeth's reign, and concerns her ongoing battles with the comfortably captive Mary of Scots, her struggles to keep England out of the wrangles between Spain, France and the Low Countries, her own battles with her age as she reaches her 40s, and her complex relationship with Robert Dudley.

I was less interested in the political to-ing and fro-ing in this book than the more domestic aspects - the dramas with her 'Robin' were as compelling as ever, and so sad; I like how Gemma Lawrence showed Elizabeth's human side, in her jealousy and, yes, sometimes spite, when she discovered that Lettice Knollys was more than just another of his mistresses.  I felt sad for her that, as someone who chose to remain a virgin and be married to her country only, she could not understand the power of sex, that most people need more than a cerebral relationship, and that the closeness this brings can lead to love, and the desire to have a family.  She seemed so lonely, somehow.... but I completely understood her reasons for her decisions, so well-painted was Ms Lawrence's portrayal.

I very much enjoyed the more human side of this episode, showing the customs and domestic routines of the people, both rich and poor, and also the little glimpses of people like William Shakespeare, and the information about Drake's adventures.  The beliefs of the people, even those wealthy and educated, about the rest of the world were both amusing and fascinating.

Well done Gemma Lawrence for another great achievement.  I believe a book about Catherine Howard is in the pipeline, which I can't wait to read!


2 comments:

  1. Gemma Lawrence's books are fantastic. I've read many of them and am reading one now. Thanks for the intro to this series, which I haven't gotten to, yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the second book, The Heretic Heir, most of all, Noelle :)

      Delete