Monday 7 June 2021

FARING FORTH AGAIN ON THE SHOE by Valerie Poore @vallypee

5 out of 5 stars


On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads




How I discovered this book:  I love Val Poore's travelogues, so always buy them when a new one comes out.

In a Nutshell:  Non-fiction, though Belgium to France on the author's barge

I read a big chunk of this book yesterday, in the bath and then whilst drying my hair (it's a long task).  When I'd finished, I stood up and realised that I had been completely immersed in Val Poore's world for the past couple of hours. To the extent that I just wanted to get back there.

This is a lovely book, detailing a trip from the Netherlands, where Val and her partner Koos live, through Flemish Belgium and then Val's beloved Wallonia, into France and back again.  As ever, I adored reading the snippets of historical interest, hearing about the people she meets, the simplicity of their life on board, her outlook about life in general (which I totally relate to), and her contentment just from being on her boat and enjoying the beauty of her surroundings.  Though it's not all bliss and country idylls; Val is a self-confessed worrier, especially when faced with the possibility of having to moor up too near a rough town.  There are many moments of humour, like when she went into a shop to buy sheets, not realising that, in her less-than-fluent French, she had asked the shopkeeper for flags.  😄

At the end of sections of the book there are links to Val's photos on Flickr; they took to long to load on my tablet, so I looked them up afterwards instead.  The link is HERE (yes, Val, he does look like a young Gerard Depardieu!).  I was most interested to see the enormous Strépy-Thieu Boat Lift - on the cover - as I couldn't imagine it, and also the enormous white scifi guillotine thing (you need to read the book!).

The only downside was that (again, as ever), reading this made me long to be on the Hennie Ha, too, faring through rural Belgium, on a sunny afternoon that lasts forever.  Thank you again, Val, for allowing us to enter your world for a while.


6 comments:

  1. Something I've always wanted to do - float on a journey on a barge. Sounds so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelle, 23 years ago my ex-husband and I hired a barge for 2 weeks, took in on the canals of middle England (with his 3 children!). Was just wonderful. When we got back, we all felt depressed to be on land again for a while. It's like Val says, a parallel world. When we split up, the husband bought a boat and sailed away. Says it all!!!

      Delete
  2. The thing about Val, she is more than a writer, she invites you to share her world...it's an immersive experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Carol. Thus, the WRITER, not just someone who records stuff that's happened to them and aims to make it interesting and funny. This is what I mean when I say it's a talent you have or you don't, and you can't manufacture or study for it!

      Delete
  3. Terry, I can't tell you how glad I am you enjoyed the journey. It was my lockdown escape and I felt I was reliving the whole trip myself. Thank you so much for this. I couldn't comment before as I had to have my laptop and log into to Chrome, but you know that problem, I know. Anyway, this review has meant a lot to me. Grand merci, as they say in Wallonia and France. If we could only just go back again now... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me knocking on the window of the Shoe!! Now... mind the gap!

      Delete