Friday 21 September 2018

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW by R A Hakok

4.5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads

How I discovered this book: I read Book #1 Among Wolves, following Amazon browse, and had to start reading Book #2 straight away!

Genre: Post Apocalyptic, Dystopian, SciFi, Horror

I found this book almost as compelling as the first ~ although a continuing story, it's a different chapter, as protagonist Gabriel and his friend Mags set off in search for a haven safe from those who threaten their group, and come across some who they trust, at first, later to find out that not all of them have their best interests at heart.  The sense of bleakness, of cold and silence, is so well done all the way through.

As with the first book, I applauded the structure of this book ~ it starts with Gabriel trying to get out of the pickle in which he has found himself, then goes back ten days to show how he got there.  Running alongside is the associated story of a boy kept imprisoned; the way in which this gradually intertwines with the main story works so well.  I loved the building of suspense, and the hints of danger to come.

One thing I was not so sure about, in this book, was the way in which Gabriel seemed to know so much about how the world was before the fall, given that he was six at the time and had received little formal education, learning things only by conversation, and reading novels and the odd scrap of old newspaper.  It didn't bother me a great deal, and I was able to suspend any disbelief most of the time, but I felt that the author had sometimes forgotten that he was writing from the POV of a seventeen year old boy who had lived a very insular life for the past ten years.   But the end was full of the unexpected, I really enjoyed the book and will certainly be reading the next one ~ which is what matters! 

No comments:

Post a Comment