Thursday 6 September 2018

THE RAVE by Nicky Black @AuthorBlackNE

4 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads



How I discovered this book: I read this review on Bloomin' Brilliant Books book blog.

Genre: Crime, 1980s, Rave Culture, North East England 

A fast moving crime drama sent around a grimy council estate in Newcastle, The Rave is very much of its place and time, in the decade before the internet and mobile phones when the world was a different place.  Or maybe not so much; kids still lied to their parents about what they were doing, did drugs, and girls still broke their mothers' hearts by falling in love with layabouts.  I smiled at Denise Morris's attitude towards her son-in-law Tommy Collins, just after she'd bought her granddaughter some new clothes: 'Denise knew it would rile Tommy, make him feel inadequate.  But he was inadequate, and someone needed to make that clear.'

The novel is written in alternating POVs.  The first is that of twenty-one-year-old husband and father Tommy, who fancies himself as having the vision that can get him out of dreary Valley Park estate way of life; not for him a life on the dole or a depressing, minimum wage job.  He's not unlikeable, and I found myself hoping that he would 'make it'.  The second is DI Peach, who has many crosses to bear (no spoilers here), and is gunning for Tommy and his gang.  Lurking in the shadows is Paul Smart, local crime kingpin and the brother of Tommy's mam-in-law Denise.  The story takes place over eight days, as Tommy looks for a way of making his dreams of hosting the ultimate rave a reality.

This book drew me in quickly, and very soon I couldn't put it down, even taking it with me when I was cooking dinner.  All the characters, even the minor ones, are beautifully drawn, and the dialogue and attitudes of the rougher side of Geordieland are totally convincing.  I also enjoyed the visiting Mancunian cop, Murphy, who was revoltingly sure of himself and quick with the witticisms.  I did find Valley Park and its inhabitants depressing in the extreme, but there is joy to be found, and this is an absolute must-read for anyone who was involved in this scene in the late 80s - particularly if you're from the Toon!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds brilliant. Thanks, Terry. I love books that bring places and eras to life. Couldn't resist either review. Bought it.

    ReplyDelete