Saturday 7 October 2017

DONKEY BOY and other stories by Mary Smith @marysmithwriter

4 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads
 

How I discovered this book: It was submitted to Rosie Amber's Review Team, of which I am a member.  Two years ago I read No More Mulberries by this author, which I liked a lot.

This is an interesting and diverse collection of stories, set in several locations, from Scotland to Pakistan, where the author lived for a while.  Some of them were written as monologues, which have been performed.

I liked those set in Pakistan best, my very favourite being Accidents Happen, about a girl whose mother marries a man she hates.  I liked it so much I read it again, straight away.  I also liked Donkey Boy itself, about a little boy who has to work for his father instead of going to school, and Trouble with Socks, about the sort of ghastly, patronising auxiliary in a care home who thinks that physically disabled means mentally deficient.  The last one, a longer story called The Thing In Your Eye, was interesting.  A woman believes she sees evil in people in their eyes; this left me a little unsure, as I didn't know if we were meant to think it was all in her mind (as everyone else does), or if she really could 'read' people.  

They're all unusual, with a theme of private sadness.  I liked a very short one called My Name is Anya, too, about an Afghani girl adopted by Scottish parents.  They're ideal for a nice bit of lying on the sofa, afternoon reading when you're not in the mood for complicated plots.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this great review, Terry. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the stories. I almost didn't include Accidents Happen but someone who read the stories pre-publication said it should be in. Now I'm very glad I included it. As for The Thing in Your Eye - well, I deliberately left it open for the reader to decide. Was that unfair? I was beginning to think I'd never write any more fiction (it's been a while) but now I believe I can and will so many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took it that she WAS psychic, because of the bit in the paper...!

      I liked that; I did something similar in my book You Wish. It was about a psychic who felt guilty about taking money off the gullible public when she was a charlatan, but as the book goes on the reader sees that she actually DOES have a 'gift'... I don't make a big deal of it, it's for the reader to notice, like in your story!

      I've found in the past that it's interesting to see which stories readers like best. And I know what you mean about losing confidence in your ability to write good fiction, but don't worry, you can!

      Delete