Monday 9 October 2023

DAUGHTER OF THE SUN by Gemma Lawrence @TudorTweep

5 out of 5 stars


On Amazon (universal link)




How I discovered this book: a favourite author whose new releases I usually buy immediately.

In a Nutshell: the early life of Eleanor of Aquitaine

This reminded me of the beginning of Gemma Lawrence's series about Anne Boleyn, in that it gives so much detail about the less well known, early life of an exceptional historical figure, showing how she became a woman centuries ahead of her time.

Ms Lawrence's Eleanor is not always particularly likeable (she seems most pleased with herself, particularly for the first two thirds of the book, though some might say with good reason) but the fascinating beginning of this full and eventful life was a joy to read.  I also enjoyed reading about how different the geographical borders of the world were then; countries, duchies, principalities and kingdoms that no longer exist, which does remind one that countries and borders are man-made constructs.

The part of the book I liked most was the second half, covering the period of the Second Crusade - this was absolutely riveting, throughout.  Couldn't put it down, I was excited to turn each page, and the book is worthy of 5* for this part alone.

As is usual for this author's novels, it is written in the first person.  Lawrence's Eleanor has much to say about the subjugation of women and the folly of men, though given her experiences this is hardly surprising.  The book ends as she becomes close to her third cousin Henry, later to become Henry II, and whom she marries.

I am SO looking forward to reading the next book!


'I would not have let him keep you prisoner,' growled the young idealist.  'By the eyes of God!  I would not!'


No comments:

Post a Comment