Friday 19 June 2015

ELI'S COMING by Darcia Helle

3.5 out of 5 stars

Supernatural/dark fantasy thriller

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE


Reviewed by me as a member of Rosie's Book Review Team

I chose to read this book from the review team list because I had read another of Darcia Helle's books, underworld crime thriller Killing Instinct, and loved it.  Eli's Coming, however, comes under the genre headings of supernatural/dark fantasy; I'd mistakenly thought it was a psychological thriller with a supernatural slant, but the fantasy side of it is the main element of the story. My error!

Amanda becomes involved with the mysterious Eli who has secrets and demons, which are revealed to the reader gradually; I liked the way Ms Helle did this, highly effective, allowing just enough information to seep out at a time to maintain interest.  It worked!  I thought the characterisation of the tormented, isolated Eli was most convincing.  There is a more real life element to the beginning of the story, too, with Amanda's frustration about her domestic situation, and her relationship with her parents.  Her mother has Alzheimer's; this was represented with care and realism.

A hint: at 99%, ie, after the end of the book, there is an information section about the Native American people who were the inspiration for this story.  I'd advise you skip to the end and read this as soon as they are mentioned, as it will make the story mean more.

Ms Helle is a competent writer and I would imagine that this book will fulfil all the requirements of dark fantasy addicts.  Alas, I am not one, so I did not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped, but this is not a reflection on the standard of the writing.  I enjoyed the first 20% very much, when it was more about Amanda and her father and friend, but the two elements did not mesh well together, for me.  Having enjoyed Killing Instinct so much I would definitely read another of her books, but will stick to her crime novels from now on.

KILLING INSTINCT by Darcia Helle reviewed HERE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment