Sunday 21 August 2016

THE MEMORY BOX by Eva Lesko Natiello

5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE


Reviewed by me as a member of Rosie Amber's Review Team

This is one of the most unusual books I've read in a long time.  I'd class it as a psychological family drama/thriller/mystery ...  it's hard to classify and hard to review, too, as it's imperative that I don't give away the terrific twist.  And it really IS terrific, not like some books hyped as having an unguessable twist that half the reviews say you can suss out in the first chapter.

Right, so we start off with suburban housewife and mother, Caroline Thompson, who doesn't fit in with the image and doesn't really want to; she detests her gossipy, nosy, trivia obsessed neighbours.  Slowly, we begin to see exactly how much she doesn't fit in; this is one disturbed woman.  But is everything as it seems?  Caroline's whole psyche is affected by the mysteries and half-memories of her past.  Why did her sister die?  Is she really dead at all?  

I grew more unsure as I read on, and had questions: why did none of her friends or family make Caroline seek help?  How come her husband just accepted all her excuses for forgetting stuff, acting strangely, etc?  She was clearly undergoing a severe emotional breakdown.  But then, in part two, the last ten per cent of the novel, the whole story turns on its head; such an unexpected turn of events.  Before, I was going to give this 4*, because I found some of Caroline's muzzy-headed thoughts a little repetitive and I thought the premise wasn't completely feasible, although I was certainly enjoying it.    Once I'd read the last ten per cent, I realised it deserved 5, without a doubt.  Quite brilliant!

I LOVE the way this lady writes, it's sharp, acutely observed, slightly manic in a way that really works, with some clever, amusing metaphors.  Highly recommended to anyone who likes something a bit different.  Great ending, too; that's another little about-turn, after the terrific twist, by the way!


4 comments:

  1. Ooh those twists sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Great review - sounds like a book worth reading. I love twists and turns....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the sound of this one, will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Terry. It sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete