Monday 19 September 2016

THE ROAD TO WOODBURY by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga

5 out of 5 stars

Zombie Apocalypse

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE



Being a Walking Dead obsessive, I was pleased to discover these books; no, they're not those awful books-from-the-TV-series written by some-screenwriter-who-can't-get-any-screenwriting-work, but actually written by the man himself, Kirkman, the creator; they're not the story you see on the AMC series but the one in the comics, which has certain similarities to the TV series and some same/similar characters.  I was glad about this in many ways, as I haven't read all the comic books so I didn't know what was going to happen.

This story is much, much darker than the one on TV, and Woodbury a much more scary place, as though all the worst characters have got themselves in one place.  Not so viewer-friendly at all!  The book starts off with main character Lilly in a camp that goes wrong, then leaving to go on the road with Josh (who reminded me of Tyreese) and Bob Stookey, who is nothing like the Bob Stookey in the AMC series apart from the fact that he's a nice guy who has a drink problem.  Eventually, they end up at Woodbury.  It's all most sinister and dangerous, but I was glad to see Martinez there as a 'goodie'; I always thought he would have been one of the decent guys if fate had dumped him with Rick's crowd instead of The Governor's.



I really enjoyed this book, the tension and suspense made me abandon the other things I should have done this afternoon, and I'm now going to start the next in the series - The Fall of The Governor, in which, I believe, some of the characters we know and love will appear.

The first book in the series, The Rise of The Governor, is reviewed by me on Amazon UK HERE








2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like the sound of this *rushes to Amazon*. I might even be able to tempt my son to read this one ;)

    ReplyDelete