Thursday 4 October 2018

TREASON IN TRUST by Gemma Lawrence @TudorTweep

5 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads



How I discovered this book: I love Gemma Lawrence and have read the rest of this series, of which this is book 5!

Genre: History, Biography, Tudors, Elizabeth 1st.

Treason in Trust covers the middle part of Elizabeth's reign, or some of it ~ not a period of history with which I am familiar, so this was quite a new experience for me with one of Gemma Lawrence's books. 

The attention to detail in this book is as good as ever, and I especially loved the descriptions of London itself and how the people lived, made all the more meaningful because of Elizabeth's well-documented view that she was married to her country, with her subjects her children.  She talks often about the reasons for her remaining single, and her thoughts about the patriarchal society in which she lives ~ an early feminist, indeed.  

I enjoyed reading about Francis Drake, battles upon the seas, the customs, medicines and superstitions of the time ~ and the introduction of the wristwatch: "A clock... for my wrist?" I asked.  "What a novel idea, Robin!"

Much of the novel deals with the problem of the disgraced Mary, Queen of Scots, and the rebellions within her beloved England, as the problems of religious differences rear their ugly heads over and over again.  Death haunts her, as she thinks of all those she has lost, especially as she grows older and succumbs to illness ... and learns of terrible massacre and relgious persecution abroad.

Reading this, you will feel as though Gemma Lawrence knows the older Elizabeth every bit as well as she knew the girl.  There has not yet been one of her historical novels that I don't consider worthy of five stars.



4 comments:

  1. I do think that is a really fab book cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not my cup of tea (I prefer 'drawing' type to photograph type) but it's very clever, and I can see that it's an excellent cover. My favourite of all the covers for Gemma's books is the one for Strands of my Winding Cloth, the previous book in this series.

      Delete
  2. A great review, TT. I think I would enjoy the details oh how people live too. I started one og Gemma’s books a few months back, but couldn’t get into it then. I must try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, reading is such a personal thing, isn't it? One man's meat, and all. It all depends on whether someone's writing style is your cup of tea, doesn't it? Often I can see that a book is good of its type but just doesn't work for me. These books ARE mostly about the history, and it's very detailed. The best one to start with of hers is La Petite Boulain, the first Anne Boleyn one, I think.

      Delete