Friday 8 March 2019

THE CLEANSING by Anton Eine @AntonEine

4 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads



How I discovered this book: it was submitted to Rosie's Book Review Team, of which I am a member.

In a Nutshell: SciFi short story 

I liked this story - it's clever and well written.  Unusual, too - it consists only of dialogue, with no dialogue tags, between two beings (aliens) in a space ship, many miles from our galaxy, and many millions of years (one presumes) into the future.  

The aliens' mission is to wipe out any life on Earth, but as they look into the future of humankind they become increasingly intrigued by the way in which we have fought to survive pandemics, invasion, wars, all manner of natural disasters; they're especially interested in the way we have documented our history in intricate detail.

The story held my interest all the way through; it ticked boxes from imaginative to funny, and I thought the chosen method of execution, ie the dialogue, was inspired.

Please note: I have since heard from the author who told me that I totally missed the point of this, ie, that the book is set in the present, and the aliens are watching our films, thus seeing the disasters, etc.... never mind.  I enjoyed it as it was, anyway!!!

4 comments:

  1. The story does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Provocative story line and interesting presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't the typical book I'd go for but love to try new things. Also, you know, I love short stories. :-) This is intriguing. The theme and presentation both sound fantastic. On my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete