Friday 12 April 2024

THE HOUSE AT THE END OF LACELEAN STREET

4 out of 5 stars


On Amazon (universal link)
On Goodreads




How I discovered this book: Twitter, and have read a few of this author's books!

In a NutshellUnusual supernatural story about trauma and acceptance

I took the opportunity of receiving an (uncorrected) ARC, as I know Catherine McCarthy's stories are always worth reading. She is a master of atmosphere, writes with a fine turn of phrase and illustrates her characters so well.  

In this mysterious tale, Howard, Claudia and Stacey find themselves on a bus that takes them to the house of the title, where there is nobody else present (aside from the most efficient staff, who neither we nor the characters ever see).  All three are at rock bottom emotionally, because of adverse circumstances in their lives and particular events that appear to have been the 'last straw'.  As the truth about their lives is revealed, sometimes by hint, sometimes in a dream sequence or hallucination, the purpose of their stay becomes more apparent.

I was certainly invested in these characters, and read the book quickly, though I did feel a little 'yes, but why? How?' after I'd read the ending.  This is only personal taste; I'm one of those readers who likes to have everything spelled out at the end and get actual, definite answers.  The outcome is positive in many ways; I just wanted more of it!    


No comments:

Post a Comment