Tuesday 23 December 2014

KILLING INSTINCT by Darcia Helle

4.5 out of 5 stars

Underworld crime thriller

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
 


I bought this novel because I read a description of it in one of those lists of '50 indie books worth reading', and I'm glad I spotted it! Great story, about an organisation set up to satisfy the requirements of all manner of sickos (torture, rape, etc), and an excellent explanation of how the 'dark net' works, too - the underground internet. The book is extremely well put together, with no superfluous detail, no wandering from the plot. Darcia Helle has done something clever - she has written likeable hitmen. I loved Sean, who has that Jack Bauer thing going on.

The other thing that impressed me about this is that it's a pretty grisly novel written by a woman, and it's not girly at all. The women are the sort of women I want to read about. The guys are alpha males. This is actually the third in the Michael Sykora series, which I didn't realise until I was a little of the way in, but it's very neatly executed so it reads perfectly well as a stand alone. One of the elements that makes it so very readable is that the dialogue is terrific - always appropriate, realistic, sharp and sometimes amusing. I'll definitely be reading more of these books (starting with No Justice, which I believe is the first), and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good murder thriller and isn't too squeamish!


ELI'S COMING by Darcia Helle reviewed HERE 

 

3 comments:

  1. Ah, think I'll start at the beginning of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, think I'll start at the beginning of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no, get this one, it doesn't need the rest of the series and it's FAB!

      Delete