Tuesday 23 December 2014

BECOMING BEAUTY by Sarah Boucher

4 out of 5 stars

Fairytale re-telling

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE



What a fun idea - a re-telling of a traditonal fairy tale! I'm not that well acquainted with the story of Beauty and the Beast, so I didn't know what was 'meant' to happen, and just enjoyed it for itself.




I'm amazed that this is Sarah Boucher's first novel - Becoming Beauty is extremely well written and intricately edited, too. It's smart, witty and clever. I loved the main character, Bella, who is the sort of female protagonist I like - a bit snarky, a bit cynical and not at all girly. I imagine that it is something of a tongue in cheek re-telling; the first section (when Bella is bemoaning her lack of success with men, and her need for luxury and comfort) is actually very funny, and I did rather hope it would continue to be so. The humour lessens, to be replaced by a mystery which adds another dimension to the story and is very satisfyingly resolved.

If this sort of book is up your street, I'd recommend it very highly indeed. Oh, and it's about the best formatted Kindle book I've ever seen, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment