Monday 23 December 2019

DEAD MEAT: DAY 1 by Nick Clausen #RBRT

3 out of 5 stars

On Amazon UK
On Amazon.com
On Goodreads



How I discovered this book: it was submitted to Rosie's Book Review Team, of which I am a member.

In a Nutshell: Beginning of zombie apocalypse

This is a long short story, possibly a novelette, illustrating Day One of a zombie apocalypse; I read it on a long train journey.  It is described as a novella in the blurb, but it didn't feel that long. 

What I liked:
  • The basic premise: a day-by-day account of the zombie apocalypse.
  • How the outbreak was supposed to have started; an unusual and clever idea, not one I'd read before.
  • The characterisation was good, with each of the three protagonists clearly defined, in their dialogue, actions and (most importantly) their inner thoughts; the relationship between the three is explained early, and works well.
  • The pace is good, and the writing mostly flows well. 
  • That the book was written in the present tense, which I always prefer for more suspense and immediacy.
What I was not so sure about:
  • One of the main three characters is supposed to have seen loads of zombie films and every episode of The Walking Dead, but, when his group are trapped in a room with a zombie the other side and discussing their options for escape, does not appear to have learned how to kill them.  They devise complicated plans that involve throwing stuff over them; they seem to think it more important to cut their arms off rather than kill the brain—the emphasis is on not getting scratched (which may but may not kill you) as opposed to getting bitten (which means a painful death and reawakening as a zombie).
  • I was confused earlier on because Thomas, Dan and Jennie were talking about the police not existing any more, and their family and friends possibly having become the walking dead, yet I thought the zombie they encountered in this house was supposed to be Patient Zero.  This is resolved to a certain extent, but at first I kept flicking back because I wasn't quite sure what was going on.
  • Flashbacks are written in the present tense, which I don't think worked.
  • Too much use of the present continuous: 'the heat wave is going on' and 'the windows are sitting high', instead of 'the heat wave continues' and 'the windows sit high', for instance, which would have read so much better; some of the sentences were a little flat or clumsy.
Basically, it's a great idea and reads fairly well, but I think it needs some more redrafting and fine-tuning to make it live up to its potential.

1 comment: