Sunday 26 December 2021

My Top Five Books of 2021 (and some more...)



I've reviewed 51 books on this blog this year, and tried to do my usual top twenty or top ten ... but I couldn't.  Too many instances of 'which do I include, this one or that one?'  I found, however, that I was able to choose my top five.  I don't very often give my '5 GOLD stars' rating; there were only two last year.  It's for the books that make me think '5 stars doesn't really do it justice'.  These are my chosen five of the seven I awarded this year.

Click the book title for my review - includes Amazon/Goodreads links.


Mistress Constancy by Gemma Lawrence

Part one of the story of Jane Rochford, wife of George Boleyn

(I actually gave two more of Gemma's books 5 gold stars, but chose this one as my favourite!)





True story: the evacuation of the people of East Prussia at the end of World War II



The Silkworm Keeper by Deborah Swift

'a novel of nuns and courtesans, artists and priests, in the shadow and splendour of the Eternal City' - 17th Century historical fiction.  Stunning!



Life is Like a Mosaic by Sally Cronin

Pictures with free verse poetry - I am not a poetry lover, generally, but this is more like observations about life.  A real gem (and I bought the hardback!).



Cousin Calls by Zeb Haradon

If I had to choose one book as a favourite for the year, it would be this.  Man walks into a bar on Christmas Eve some decades into the future, to wait for a cousin he has never met.  While he's waiting, four others provide their stories about what happened when they got a phone call that said, 'you don't know me, but we're cousins'.  Unusual, hilarious, genre-free and brilliant!



Such a good reading year, so many I recommend; if you would like to take a look at those to which I gave 5 stars, please click HERE.  

Here are a few of them:

The Heart Stone by Judith Barrow 

A Matter of Conscience by Judith Arnopp

The White Rajah by Tom Williams

Trashlands by Alison Stine


Faring Forth Again on the Shoe by Val Poore


Catch Me If I Fall by Nikki Rodwell


For those I gave 4.5*, please click HERE.

Here are a few of them...

Mists and Megaliths by Catherine McCarthy


Near Death by Richard Wall


Black Irish Blues by Andrew Cotto

Later by Stephen King


...and here are some more I've loved - I hope you will discover some of my recommendations for yourself.

Happy reading!

Creation by Bjorn Larssen
Click HERE for review

Click HERE for review
Click HERE for review

Click HERE for review

Click HERE for review

Click HERE for review


Click HERE for review

Click HERE for review

Click HERE for review

Click HERE for review




7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Terry for including Mosaic in your top recommendations.. I am very honoured.. Some wonderful books in your post, some I have read and some I will have to read.. I hope you had an amazing Christmas and Happy New Year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome! The top 5 were very easy to pick :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for recommending this great collection. Have a happy new year arriving! xx Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list of books, Terry. Have a wonderful new year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too and thanks for taking a look, DWP and Michael! :)

      Delete
  4. Some great books here which Have piqued my interest...Happy New Year , Terry :) x

    ReplyDelete